In most of our daily endeavours, there is something that has grown to be a companion over the course of our existence. An object which many display with grace, an object that has proven it efficiency .I am talking about none other than a Wristwatch.
During your busy schedule, trying to keep up with a deadline, it’s all Time. Ever since humans noticed the regular movement of the sun and the stars, we have wondered about the passage of time. This curiosity led them to start the measurement of time with the sun, moon and the stars.
TIME TELLING THROUGH HISTORY
The division of day and night into different periods was made to regulate work, indicate time for rituals and it varied from culture to culture.
The Chinese invented “candle clocks” used for telling the time in the sixth century CE. This invention was also used in England from the tenth century CE. This form of time telling was limited. It could not tell all day time.
Around 1500 BCE, similar to the candle clock, came the “Water clock”. It relied on the steady flow of water into a container for its functionality. Measurements could be marked on the container or in a receptacle for the water. Then the use of “Hour Glass” or “Sand Glass”. This was during the fourteenth (14th) century. They were used just like the previous systems. Eventually, revolutionary exploits set in to produce the wristwatch.
The wristwatch as we know it is a product of War. The wars of the nineteenth (19th) and early twentieth (20th) centuries. It was used as a military Strategy. It came as a solution to the pocket watch whose limitations for the battle field was slowing down overall accuracy and success.
History gives account of Napoleon being frustrated by having to constantly open his pocket during battles to check his watch. I must confess, that was have been incredibly stressful. Holding a gun, aiming for your target and constantly checking your pocket. It is distracting even. The design for a watch being strapped on the wrist became a permanent solution and upon progression of time, a fashion statement.
Aside the wristwatch, for mobility and flexibility another device provides the solution of time telling, you can guess. Yes, a mobile phone also known as a smart phone.
The smart phone is smart enough to tell us time but I feel cannot outshine our timely companion who has served us for several years and here is why:
- It monitors and keeps you abreast with time. This is the major function of a wristwatch. It keeps you updated. Informing you on how many minutes have gone by or how many hours have been spent, especially when completing a task with a deadline.
- It serves as a fashion symbol. Nowadays, a wristwatch is seen as a fashion accessory used to complete and compliment a particular mode of dressing. It has become a jewellery. Different shapes, style are in vogue and each used to show style and elegance.
- A wristwatch is a great way to invest. It can be sustained over time, bought during a period of time and sold as a valuable vintage later on.
- It is a simple time telling object in relation to a smart phone, it does not require constant charging but has a durable battery which goes on for a period of time.
- In the business world, a wristwatch is a great tool to improve efficiency and organisation. When you work with time, you get the job done one time. In essence, a wristwatch aids in good time management.
- Special electronic wristwatches can used to monitor heart rate, number of steps taken in a day and serve as a good exercising companion.
The next question after understanding the benefits of a wristwatch should be how does one choose a wristwatch?
There are several manufacturers of wristwatches in the market today and I will say, the wristwatch business is a lucrative one. To choose a befitting wristwatch, the first thing to consider is your financial budget.
There are lots of wristwatches available by top designers worth billions. If you can’t afford that, do not be discouraged. Your budget size is also available. Next, you consider the type of wristwatch you want. It could be a leather, steel chain or rubber wristwatch. Then you consider the shape and colour.
Finally and most importantly, the fitting on your wrist. When you do all these, you can settle with the best time companion and plan your daily activities accordingly.
As little as a wristwatch is, it is a mighty object and as important as wearing clothes. Imagine the possibility of being oblivious of time. Not knowing what hour it is. Whether you are looking for the perfect wristwatch as a special gift to someone this valentine or for personal use, follow the guidelines above and be sure it’ll assist you in picking the best possible choice. Hold on to your Timely companion.