Ketogenic or Keto diet is a type of diet that is low in carbohydrate and high in fats. Recently, this type of diet has gained grounds in the society and used to lose weight. Statements like “I am Ketoing” “I am on a Keto diet” and the likes. When one engages in this diet, cutting down carbohydrate and ingesting more of fatty foods, it initiates a kind of metabolism in the body known as “KETOSIS”. At this point, the body now burns fat for energy instead the basic thing we know. Carbohydrates as energy giving food. The process of eliminating carbohydrates also turns fat into ketones in the liver.
Basically, this type of diet eliminates carbohydrate as the primary food for energy and converts fat instead.
There are several versions of the ketogenic diet, including:
- Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a very low carb, moderate protein and high-fat diet. It typically contains 70% fat, 20% protein, and only 10% carbohydrates.
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet involves periods of higher carbohydrate refeeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high carbohydrate days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet allows you to add carbohydrate around workouts.
- High protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein. The ratio is often 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
How it works:
When you eat less than 50 grams of carbohydrate a day, your body eventually runs out of energy (blood sugar) it can use quickly. This typically takes 3 to 4 days. Then you’ll start to break down protein and fat for energy, which can make you lose weight. This is called ketosis. It’s important to note that the ketogenic diet is a short term diet that’s focused on weight loss rather than the pursuit of health benefits. A ketogenic diet may help you lose more weight in the first 3 to 6 months than some other diets. This may be because it takes more calories to change fat into energy than it does to change carbohydrates into energy. It’s also possible that a high-fat, high-protein diet satisfies you more, so you eat less, but that hasn’t been proved yet.
It’s essential to create a portion size for proteins. This is on the grounds that protein can be converted into glucose whenever taken in high quantity, which slows down your progress into ketosis. Another way to attain Ketosis is by practicing intermittent fasting, also known as IF.
What is IF?
Intermittent fasting also known as IF is an irregular fasting which involves abiding by an eating design. There is a period to eat and a period to fast. For example, in a day consisting of twenty-four (24) hours, eating hours is designed for eight (8) hours. This period of time is referred to as eating window, and the remaining sixteen (16) hours would be your fasting period. Having established this, the next step would be answering the question on its benefits.
According to science, Ketogenic diet can help lose weight since it requires a reduced intake of calories.
The type of meals consumed during this process is easy filling foods.
Furthermore, it prompts a decrease in diastolic pulse and fatty oil levels.
The expanded ketones, can be effective for diabetics by lowering glucose levels, and improving insulin sensitivity.
But one can only wonder, did the search for weight loss prompt this diet? Well I am here to answer your question. The Keto diet was a response treating neurological diseases.
If you are looking to start this diet, here is a list of some food you should avoid:
- Rice and pasta
- Eba and soup
- Yam and pounded yam
- Wheat and oat meal
Instead consume food high in protein like;
- Tomatoes and pepper
Tips and Tricks to help Sustain A Keto diet
Beginning on the ketogenic diet can be quite difficult, there are a few hints and pointers that you can use to make it simpler.
• Start by acquainting yourself with food names and checking the ingredients and nutrients they contain.
• Planning out your evening meals ahead of time may likewise be useful and can help you save additional time consistently.
• Search online, join online keto groups to provide keto-accommodating plans and dinner thoughts that you can use to assemble your own custom menu. I have come across some on face book and instagram.
• Look into frozen keto dinners when you’re behind schedule.
• When going to get-togethers or seeing loved ones, you may likewise need to think about bringing your own food, which can make it a lot simpler to control desires and adhere to your diet. When Mr. A serves you rice, you can say no because you brought your meal. No temptation just strict adherence to achieve results.
Is this type of diet worth it?
The Ketogenic diet comes with a few symptoms; a keto flu, feeling of tiredness, an inability to sleep otherwise known as insomnia, digestive discomfort, change in the water and mineral balance of the body because of the elimination of carbohydrates from your diet. It can also negatively affect the body system on the long run by saturating the liver with fat and the kidney with kidney stones.
Finally, before you jump on this trend, make sure you are certified by a medical practitioner to avoid any complication. The Human body varies from one person to another. Because it worked for Mrs. A doesn’t mean it will work for Mrs. B. Your Health is Your Wealth.