Have you come across the word ‘Dyslexia’, Do you have any idea as to what it means? If no, you are in the right and if you have, you are equally welcomed, for we can never know too much.
The International Dyslexia Association offers the following definition of dyslexia:
“Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.” Simply put, it is a disorder in children who, despite conventional classroom experience, fail to attain the language skills of reading, writing, and spelling.
This disability has been around for a long time, though most African parents are oblivious of this condition and continue to live in denial. Dyslexia is the most commonly recognized learning disability in youngsters and perseveres all through life. The seriousness of dyslexia can fluctuate from mild to extreme. Early diagnosis and treatment of dyslexia, makes room for a favorable result. Be that as it may, it is never past the point of no return for individuals with dyslexia to figure out how to improve their learning abilities. I have come across true life stories of people who have this disability and share their stories on social media platforms.
On one of my encounters with such post, the poster explained how growing up was tough for her; how she was termed an “olodo” because of her inability to comprehend. Typical of a Nigerian home, she was told she was ‘possessed’, and had to undergo series of ‘deliverance sections’. From one prayer house to another and from one pastor to the other. The cycle continued. Can you imagine what must have gone through the mind of this young lady during that period? Her circumstance was because of ignorance and not until she explored and looked for help did she discover solutions. Moving ahead, she looked for clinical guide/ medical aid and has since advanced in her educational undertakings. I trust the story is as charming as it’s expected to pass a reasonable message.
Dyslexia can go undetected in the early years of learning. Kids can get baffled by the troubles in figuring out how to read. It is critical to take note of different issues that can camouflage as dyslexia, for example, a kid may:
- Give indications of misery and low confidence.
- Have conduct issues at home, just as at school that frequently displayed.
- Become unmotivated and build up an aversion for school, and their progress might be endangered if the issue stays untreated.
There are likewise sure signs that may mean a kid has a learning disability. A few has been identified underneath. Most are identified during the primary school learning stage, since this is the earliest stage of school learning. A child presumably won’t exhibit some of these signs, or even majority of them. Notwithstanding, on the off chance that a child shows some of these issues, at that point guardians and the teachers ought to think about how conceivable it is that the youngster has a learning inability. It is not a death sentence; it is a disability and should be treated as such.
You might be curious to know, WHAT CAUSES DYSLEXIA?
Dyslexia is believed to be brought about by hindrance in the brain’s capacity to deal with phonemes (the littlest units of discourse that make words unique in relation to one another). It does not result from vision or hearing issues. It is not because of mental hindrance, cerebrum harm, or an absence of knowledge contrary to some thoughts. Most times, the condition can be based on hereditary factors. That is, from parent to offspring.
If you were you were contemplating whether dyslexia existed in various forms, you are right. It does in three main forms:
- Primary dyslexia: This is the most well-known kind of dyslexia, and is a dysfunction of, instead of damage to one side of the cerebrum (cerebral cortex) and doesn’t change with age. Primary Dyslexia can cause challenges handling sounds, letters and numbers, which adversely impacts on a youngster’s capacities in spelling, reading and math. Sadly, there are people who keep on battling fundamentally with reading and writing, composing, and spelling all through their grown-up lives and others who thrive. Primary dyslexia is passed in family lines through genes (inherited) and it is discovered more frequently in the male than in females.
- Secondary or Developmental dyslexia: This sort of dyslexia is brought about by issues with mental health during the beginning phases of fetal turn of events. Formative dyslexia decreases as the youngster develops. It is additionally more normal in young males.
- Trauma dyslexia: This kind of dyslexia ordinarily happens after some type of cerebrum injury or injury to the region of the mind that controls reading, writing and composing. It is seldom found in today’s young populace.
Different kinds of learning inability include:
- Visual dyslexia is in some cases used to allude to visual preparing problem, a condition where the cerebrum doesn’t appropriately decipher visual signs.
- Auditory dyslexia has been utilized to allude to hear-able handling problem. Like visual handling issue, these are issues where the brain’s doesn’t appropriately process sounds and speech.
- Dysgraphia this is when a child has troubles in holding and controlling a pencil with the goal that the right markings can be made on the paper. That is, the inability to write on paper.
Now, we are acquitted with the types, what then are the Recommendations.
- As a parent, if you notice these signs, kindly seek medical help
- As a tutor or educator, when kids begin to manifest these symptoms, involve their parents. It goes beyond taking displinary actions and calling them names in class.
- Make assessment plans for such kids exhibiting the traits.
While there are numerous hypotheses about effective treatment for dyslexia, there is no real remedy for it. The learning institution can only help by building up an arrangement with the parent to address the child’s issues. The arrangement might be executed in a custom curriculum setting or in the customary classroom. A suitable treatment plan will zero in on fortifying the child’s shortcomings while using their qualities. Computers are incredible assets for these kids and ought to be used to a reasonable extent, not excessively. The kid should be taught compensation and adapting aptitudes, while consideration should be given to the ideal learning conditions, elective and other alternative means of engaging the child to ensure effective education and learning.
Lastly, the most important aspect is the approach. Youngsters will be affected by the mentalities of the grown-ups around them. Dyslexia ought not to turn into a reason for a youngster to stay away from participating in class works and assignments. Since the scholarly requests on a kid with dyslexia might be incredible and the youngster may get tired without any problem, hence there should be special and dedicated treatments to meet these special needs. On an end note, I charge you not to be discouraged for great men with this disability, created an ability; Albert Einstein a proof of this disability. Remember there is ability in every disability.