In Nigeria, persons who do not know how to mind their business have been tagged different names, from “amebo” to “busy-bodies“, “over sabi” and so on.
In fact, in Nigeria, children in Primary, scratch that, children in Nursery School already know how to detest people who do not mind their own business. These persons are childishly referred to as “telephone wires”, and are sarcastically asked if they need transport money to finish the deed of not minding their own business.
Well, the detest of such individuals does not only belong to childhood tantrums, even adulthood, which pretty worse. These individuals are trashed and dragged on any social media platform.
So today, we examine an individual who did not mind his own business, and we would discuss if what he did was right and if ‘not minding your business’ have occasions were it is right/necessary.
Follow us on this exciting content…
You should have heard of the story trending about a guy named Israel, who happens to be Davido’s logistics manager, lashing out at a female DJ, that after the collaboration with Zlatan Ibile on the hit song “Gelato”, she did not give Zlatan a dime.
Wait what! He went on to add that Zlatan paid for his own hotel accommodation during the video shoot, and that’s why Zlatan has decided to cut her off from his life.
His words not mine.
This story has sparked a lot of reaction from Nigerians. A reaction that can be classified into different categories. First, we have the philosophical ones, then the Cuppy angels, that 30 BG, the stereotypers and finally the neutralists. Let’s take them one by one and understand their drive.
- Philosophical Ones: these are the social media handlers that will turn this story into a philosophy. A philosophy of either minding your business or being your brothers keeper. They are not really supporting any side per se, but will just develop quotes to explain different concept, and in the end you are wondering: nigga, why?
- Cuppy’s Angels: these are die-hard fans of DJ Cuppy. They cannot believe that the female DJ can carry out such actions, while they are alleged to be fast in tagging Israel a hater, they would dig into his life and produce shocking discoveries in a bid to spite the guy.
They will also be the first to point out that Israel is nothing but an “amebo”. They will shade, drag and insult not minding if such allegations are true.
- 30 BG: this happens to be the DMW fan club and anyone who the invitation is extended to. This happens to be one of the biggest fan club in Nigeria, and I honestly pity anyone who crosses them.
These guys will want to protect any Davido loyalist of which Zlatan and Israel are part of.
On a normal day, these guys would shade people who engage in the ‘not minding my business’ activities, but at this particular incidence, they will side Israel because he belongs to the DMW camp.
Fueled by the fact that Davido asked Cuppy to leave his guy on Instagram, these guys will legit take to their social media handles to say ‘FEM’ to all Cuppy’s supporters. They will shade, drag and dig into Cuppy’s lifestyle, with their aim to ensure that the 30 BG remains unscathed.
- Stereotypers: These guys are not on Cuppy side, but they are not 30 BG members. They are just people who on normal day will trash a “busy body”, but will not in this scenario, because she is Otedola’s daughter. And because she is rich, these guys have stereotyped her into a spoilt girl, who uses people and dump them. To them, she is capable of doing all the things Israel alleges. They do not give her the benefit of doubt.
So, they trash her on social media because she is a Billionaire’s daughter. Like come on.
- Neutralist: these are the guys who sit on the fence when it comes to such issues. It is not their concern, if the allegations are true or not. They do not comment. They may have opinions which they would not voice out.
They are only there to catch cruise.
Now The Question is, What Israel did, is it right?
Is the act of ‘minding my own business’ right to some situations?
I know in Nigeria “busy bodies” are detested, but then there are times when these busy bodies are necessary.
In Israel’s case, his busy body is a shocker. Na who ask you? I mean it’s Zlatan we are talking about, if he wanted to tell the world he would have done it since. But he didn’t, and he probably has legit reasons. But Israel who had nothing to do with the deal, thought it wise to be the news breaker. What was he thinking?
His situation has pointed out that there are a lot consequences from not minding your business. Apart from being trashed and insulted, there are serious consequences. Your reputation would be tarnished, I mean no one wants to work with some one who does not mind their business.
Then there are legal consequences. No one wants to be accused in public and let you go scot free. So be ready to dance to Cuppy’s tunes Mr. Israel.
It is without a doubt that busy bodies allegations are not taken seriously, the question is why?
- They have no concern to the information they release. It’s just out of the blues, here comes an amebo!!
- They do not have the facts of the whole story. They usually hear from one party, and boom without verifying they are ranting.
- They are clouded by sentiment. Most time people do busy body when it’s someone they dislike, so when they get info regarding that person, they become basket mouth.
Are there times ‘not minding my own business is necessary?’
Everything that has a disadvantage has an advantage. So yes some times it is good to not mind your business. I mean when you are walking down the street, and you see in a corner, a guy beating a lady, do you mind your business?
So, here are some reasons people step in to business that do not concern them:
- One of the party is shy to speak out, probably afraid of reactions or consequences.
- When the busy body perceive the other party is vulnerable or defenseless.
- When it is the last option.
In conclusion, busy body is not a good thing, however if you engage in it do it for the right reasons, and only when it is necessary.